Population

By 1840 there were 1277 persons living in Milton Township. This total decreased each year until 1920, just after completion of the reservoir, when only 514 people remained. The period from 1920 until 1940 saw a large gain in summer cottages but a much smaller gain in permanent homes. Then in the 1940’s employment at Ravenna Arsenal and wartime gasoline rations influenced a movement to permanent residences. After WWII, increased interest in recreation and improvements in boating continued this movement. It was during this time that the demand for city cottages was so great that a rental freeze went into effect. From 1950 to 1960 the population increased 52.3% in Milton Township (2194 to 3341 persons) and 100.2% in Craig Beach Village (569 to 1139 persons). The last census shows the population of Milton Township to be 4107.

The Lake

In the early 1900’s Milton Township was the most sparsely populated of all Mahoning County Townships but it was destined to become a most important subdivision with the development of the Milton Lake property. Downstream, the City of Youngstown was using the Mahoning River as both an industrial and domestic water supply. By 1906 this growing city was experiencing water shortages. The idea was born to create a reservoir upstream thus enabling some control over the flow of the Mahoning River. In 1908, Youngstown began purchasing land in Berlin Township. By 1910, land speculators now aware of the city’s plan for a reservoir drove the price of land up forcing Youngstown to abandon its Berlin land purchase. From 1911 to 1913, Youngstown executed its Milton land acquisition of 3,416 acres. The building of Milton Dam began in 1913 and by its completion in 1917 the city had spent $787,000 for this 1,685 acre lake. All was well until 1925 when the State Health Department condemned the water of the Mahoning River as it flowed through Youngstown as unsafe to drink. Plans were immediately put into place for a new domestic water supply and the Meander Reservoir, 10 miles east of Milton, was completed in 1932. Milton Dam still had an important job to do as it continued to control the flow of water to the vast industrial complexes downstream. So important in fact that during WWII a guard was posted at the dam to insure our nations steel production was not interrupted. As an extra precaution, Berlin Lake was formed upstream in 1943. During the next 40 years under the watchful eye of the Army Corp of Engineers and later the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, inspections and upgrades were made to the dam as deemed necessary to insure its stabilization. By 1984 there was little doubt the dam was failing. In early 1986, Milton Dam was breached and a lush green growth began to fill its bed. Youngstown relinquished control of the dam to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources began construction of a brand new dam which it completed in 1988. The dam is 2840 feet in total length. The west wing is 325 feet, and the east wing is 1837 feet, each of these earthen concrete covered wings have an average base width of 160 feet. The center cement portion is 678 feet in length with a base width of 60 feet. There are four 36” gates which control this gravity fed dam. The crest of the dam is 951 feet above sea level with the optimum summer pool being 948 feet above sea level. Compare this with the Mahoning River in Youngstown at 839 feet or Lake Erie at 571 feet above sea level. Lake Milton is Ohio’s 72nd State Park. It was officially dedicated in June of 1988. The park consists of 1685 acres of water and 1171 acres of land.

Churches

The earliest church in the township was the Presbyterian, founded in about 1807. A church structure was erected soon afterwards at Pricetown, with James Boyd as first pastor and later activities were transferred to Orr’s Corners, but eventually abandoned. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1812, services were held at homes and in schoolhouses by circuit riders. Subsequently a church was erected at Baldwin’s Corners, but Methodists in Milton were soon identified with the Milton-Newton church at Pricetown, the building being on the Newton Township side of the line. The Disciples Church was organized in Milton about 1830 and flourished for a generation but finally dissolved.

 

The Churches In The Lake Milton Area

Baptist Bible Church
6719 State Rt. 225
330.358.2332

Berlin Center Methodist Parsonage
5888 Weaver Road
Berlin Center, Ohio

Church of Christ of Lake Milton
16313 Milton Avenue
Lake Milton, Ohio
330.654.9555

Deerfield Evangelical Friends Church
1261 State Rt. 14
Deerfield, Ohio
330.584.6777

Deerfield United Methodist Church
1483 State Rt. 225
Deerfield, Ohio
330.654.2170

Ellsworth Presbyterian Church
U.S. Rt. 224
Ellsworth, Ohio
330.547.2977

Lake Milton Baptist Temple
415 S. Pricetown Road
Diamond, Ohio
330.538.3051

Lake Milton Presbyterian Church
942 Grandview Road
Lake Milton, Ohio
330.654.3921

Lakeview Assembly of God
17930 Mahoning Avenue
Lake Milton, Ohio
330.654.3146

MT Moriah Lutheran Church
4626 S. Pricetown Road
Berlin Center, Ohio
330.547.3737

Palmyra United Methodist Church
3968 State Route 225
330.654.2396

St. Catherine's Catholic Church
1254 Grandview Road
Lake Milton, Ohio
330.654.4001

Government

Milton Township operates under Township form of Government.  We are governed by three elected Trustees, Dave Tomaino, Harold Campbell, and Russ Weimer, and an elected Fiscal Officer, Leni Schulz.  All decisions concerning budget, new projects, police activity, zoning, road and cemetery issues are discussed in a public forum.  The citizenry of Lake Milton are welcome and are encouraged to become involved in our township government with your concerns and ideas.  Meetings are usually held on the third Tuesday of every month at the Milton Town Hall at 7:00 p.m.  Please keep yourself up to date with meeting information on the sign posted in front of the Town Hall.

Schools

The Jackson Milton Schools K-12 are brand new buildings, having opened in September 2009.  We are proud to say that our technology is superior to any in the Mahoning County Area.

In addition to the regular curriculum, we offer AP courses as well as Consumer Education.  We are quite proud of the fact that Jackson Milton has received many awards in the arts.  Our premier sports are Volleyball and Wrestling, and your student can choose any one of our 16 varsity sports.

One program that has become quite popular involves your student attending College for half of the school day and the other half day at Jackson Milton High School.  All is funded by the State of Ohio.  We are looking forward to the library to be erected on school grounds and will be available for the community to use.

The future of the Jackson Milton School District is so bright with promise.  Check it out for yourself at our website:  http://www.jacksonmilton.k12.oh.us/